Easy Peasy Spaghetti Squash

Monday, March 3, 2014
Spaghetti Squash has become a weekly staple in our house and I ain't complainin' because it's super easy and makes a ton of food! If you're like me and you don't have the time or the desire to cook dinner every single night, dishes like spaghetti squash are a Godsend. It's cheap, easy, AND healthy!


I made my own sauce, but if you're short on time or already have a jar of spaghetti sauce handy feel free to just use that.
  
Sauce Instructions:
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- 28oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Package Fresh Mushrooms (diced)
- 1 Medium Onion (diced)
- 1 Package Lean Ground Turkey
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Oregano
- Basil
- Salt 
- Pepper

Pour about a Tbsp of Olive Oil in a skillet and heat over medium high. Once the oil has warmed up add about a tsp of minced garlic and heat until fragrant, then add the onions. I cook the onions until translucent and then I add the lean ground turkey and cook as described on the package of crumbles. When there is only a little bit of pink left in the turkey meat I added the diced mushrooms. When the meat is cooked fully add the can of diced tomatoes along with a tsp of basil and oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Also, I like to add a couple of dashes of cayenne and crush red pepper for a little kick. Simmer sauce for about 15-20mins.

Squash Instructions:
-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and while the oven is warming up cut the spaghetti squash in half. (This part is always a struggle for me). Discard the seeds, just like you would with a pumpkin. Coat the insides of the squash with some olive oil and then season with salt and pepper. 

 
Lay the halves of the squash on a baking sheet open side down and bake for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. 

 
To check the "doneness" of the squash you should easily be able to poke the skin of the squash with a fork. When the squash is done, flip the squash halves over and let cool for at least 10 minutes. I can't tell you how many times I have dropped the squash because it was still too hot so be cautious. When the squash has cooled to a tolerable level, use a fork to scoop the stringy pulp of the squash for your "noodles." Then just simply top the desired amount of squash with the desired amount of sauce and voila!

And you guys I wasn't joking when I said one squash makes for a ton of food; 5 heaping servings means I don't have to make dinner tomorrow and my husband has lunch for work. SCORE!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! My boyfriend is super picky and swears he hates squash, so i may have to sneak it and see if he notices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves it! Especially with the cayenne and red pepper flakes for the added heat.

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design