Unconventional Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thursday, March 6, 2014
Last Friday I volunteered to make some sort of baked good for our co-worker's secret birthday celebration today. Silly Me, forgot to get supplies while I did my weekly grocery shopping over the weekend. So last night I panicked for a second, then collected myself when I realized I could just make cookies because I already had all of the ingredients. Wrong. I had everything but the full amount of butter. Panicked again. Quickly ran for my computer as I started to scramble for butter replacements in cookie recipes. Seriously, I don't know what I would do without Google these days. I found a couple different options, but I decided to sort of combine two of them because I was concerned about how the texture of the cookies would come out if I solely used one of them and then worried about the sweetness if I just relied on substituting the other. I figured I was already off course with the recipe I had originally planned to use so why not just go for using both of them. In case you were wondering, or if you ever find yourself in a similar pickle you can use coconut oil and and half the amount of Greek yogurt to substitute for butter. You're welcome. You'll also notice below that I used whole wheat flour instead of regular flour because I just like whole wheat anything and it actually makes my cookies a little fluffier without being dry, which I love!

I was pretty darn skeptical about these cookies were going to turn out as soon as I saw how dark the dough was. My husband likes to lick the beaters after I'm done so I had him give me his opinion about the dough. He said it was good, but I didn't believe him so I tried it for myself and I was pleasantly surprised; it WAS good! The timer goes off and grab the cookie sheet out of the oven, the cookies still look a little darker than I am used to so my skepticism returns. 10 minutes later I scrape one off of the sheet for my husband and one for me. I always wait for his reaction because I can tell instantly if he likes something or doesn't. His eyes lit up and with his mouth still full he told me these were the best cookies I've ever made and asked for another cookie, I kid you not. I'm stoked! I enjoyed the cookie very much too and by this time I'm pretty proud of myself for being resourceful and whipping these chocolate chip creations up.

All in all, the cookies were a hit at work and a hit with my husband so I would feel really guilty keeping this recipe all to myself.

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 sugar (I used the equivalent for Truvia)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Melt the butter and coconut oil in the microwave so it will mix well. Then, beat butter, Greek yogurt, sugar (or sugar substitute), brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after you add each one. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. 

To make the scooping process easier I like to freeze or refrigerate the dough for a little bit. It makes the distributing process from the bowl to the cookie sheet way less messy! After about 20 mins scoop the hardened dough with a Tbsp scoop (the perfect size!) and place on your cookie sheet with about an inch in between the scoops of dough so the cookies do not form together. Bake for about 13 minutes. Make sure you let them cool for about 10 minutes before you try to remove them from the cookie sheet. After the 10 minutes are up enjoy with a glass of cold milk! 



-Showcy

2 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! I'll have to make some when I have a little better handle of NOT being tempted to eat the entire batch :) (aka when I'm off my lady time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were so tasties! The recipe made over 36 cookies so I took most of them to work and then gave some to Scott to take to work because Lord knows I would have eaten all of them if I hadn't. I don't mess around when it comes to cookies lol

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design