Simple Saturday

Saturday, March 15, 2014
Before I hit the gym and the hustle and bustle of my Saturday chores and errands start, I like to carve out a couple hours of uninterrupted "me time." After several long days of work, going to the gym, maintaining the house, and cooking I think I'm entitled to a couple worry free hours on Saturday mornings.

On Friday nights before I go to bed I make sure my alarm is turned off and my phone is on vibrate because I want to take full advantage of getting some thorough beauty sleep and soak up those extra couple hours of sleep. Unfortunately for me, my husband works graveyard shift so he usually wakes me up when he comes home from work in the morning anyways, in which case we pillow talk for a couple minutes and then we both doze off.

After a little more sleep I wake up ready to greet the day, after I check my phone, of course. I update myself on the latest and greatest of the social media world, emails, and texts. After I feel reconnected to the world I immediately proceed downstairs to fire up the coffee pot. I only sip coffee on the weekends and stick to green tea during the week so by the time Saturday rolls around I REALLY look forward to those 2 cups of coffee.

When the coffee is just about done brewing I toast a whole wheat bagel or some whole grain bread to accompany my coffee. For me, there is a strange, but wonderful, relationship between coffee and toast; it's almost impossible for me to have one without the other. When the bread is toasted to my liking (just before it starts to burn around the edges) I spread a thin layer of almond butter on the perfectly toasted bread and then slice up either a banana or apple to also have for breakfast.

I make my way to the couch with my plate and cup of coffee where I cozy up with my favorite plush blanket and light a candle before I catch up on the TV shows I missed from the week while I enjoy my breakfast and cup(s) of coffee.


Following this routine every Saturday morning gets me centered and relaxed before the stress of meal planning, grocery shopping, meal prepping, laundry, household chores, and close to 2 hours at the gym begins. I think it's important to carve out a little bit of our day to do something that makes us happy because we having something to look forward to every day makes it less mundane and keeps the day from dragging. So make sure you are making time to enjoy things that make your life less monotonous and give yourself a moment, an hour, or a morning (like me) to decompress and rest up before you're back at your busy schedule.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design