Lean Green Muffins

Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Don't let the color fool you; these muffins are quite scrumptious!

I love baking and I love spinach so when I stumbled upon this recipe I knew it was a match made in heaven. Although the recipe as it stands already is pretty healthy I made a few substitutions. I left the original recipe below, but if you want to try it my way: 
  • Substitute the all purpose flour for almond flour 
  • Use one heaping handful of spinach and a bundle of kale (stems removed) in place of the 6 oz bag of spinach.
  • Instead of sugar, use 1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp of Truvia
  • Replace the canola oil with unsweetened applesauce
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 1 6 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach
  • 2 overly ripe bananas
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
  2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a blender, place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed. Add banana (I squeezed the bananas with my hands before I added them to the blender) and vanilla; blend on low just to mix. 
  4. Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
  5. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full  and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 

*NOTE: I highly suggest letting the muffins cool out of the muffin pan for about an hour before eating. I had a tough time peeling my muffin from the wrapper when it was still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design